My kitchen runs on love, laughter and lots of experimentation—sometimes it works, sometimes not so much, but when it works, hubby will say, “I hope you wrote this recipe down.”
I wrote it all down and I’m going to share it with you.
Besides the scent of cookies baking in the oven, another mouthwatering essence are roasted anything, especially sweet peppers.
1/2 lean ground beef
1/2 Italian sausage (sweet or spicy, your choice)
1/4 cup of dry red or white wine (the good stuff that you would drink, not the cooking wine)
4 sweet peppers (red, orange or yellow)
3/4 cup COOKED white rice (I cook the rice in chicken broth, to give it that much more flavor)
1 TBSP freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBSP freshly grated Romano cheese
10 Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
handful of fresh basil, chopped
1/3 cup mozzarella, shredded or sliced thinly
1/2 cup tomato sauce
salt and red chili flakes to taste
- Heat oven to 350F
- Cook rice and set aside.
- Wash and dry the peppers, slice in half, and remove the seeds and set aside.
- Chop the tops you removed from the peppers into small pieces
- Chop the tomato in small pieces
- Heat up a skillet, add the wine, sausage and ground beef and cook for about 3 minutes
- Then add the chopped pieces of peppers and stir, lower heat to medium and cook until meat is brown and done.
- Once the meat is done, remove from heat and add: Parmesan, tomato, olives, basil and rice, and stir well until it’s all mixed.
- Taste the mixture, so you can season with salt and red chili flakes
- Line a baking dish with parchment, or spray with a non-stick spray.
- Fill each half of the peppers with equal amounts of the meat/rice mixture.
- Arrange peppers in baking dish
- Top each pepper with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese
- Cover dish and bake for 45 minutes
- Remove cover and bake an additional 5 – 10 minutes, until mozzarella on top is a golden color
For more recipes (over 100 family dishes), PLUS, two stories (children’s book, and a comedy short story for adults) download a sample or purchase WISHES. STITCHES & DISHES: Bundle of Family Fun.
Available on AMAZON for only $1.50