Show your crock pot some love and whip up a batch of soup laden with a sprinkling of sexy spices, healthy protein, and a super carbs for those lunches and dinners when you want to swing the vegetarian way.
Sweet Potato, Chickpea, White Beans & Spinach Soup
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cans of chick peas (drained and rinsed)
1 can of white kidney beans (or canelli beans) (drained and rinsed)
1 Vidalia onion (or sweet onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 cups broth (your choice, vegetable, chicken or beef)
5 cups of fresh baby spinach
2 TBSP. freshly squeezed lime juice
5 tsp. Kosher salt
3 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. olive oil
(Optional) If you like it spicy, then add some chili flakes or hot sauce.
1. Heat a small pan and add the oil to heat up, then saute the onion and garlic until they are transparent.
2. Transfer garlic and onion to crock pot and add: sweet potatoes, chick peas, white kidney beans, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, broth, salt and pepper.
3. Stir all ingredients well.
4. Cooking times: High for 4 hours – OR – Low for 7 hours
5. Once it’s finished cooking, unplug the crock pot, turn it off and add the baby spinach leaves and lime.
6. Stir and serve.
This recipe freezes well and also keeps in the fridge for a few days.