I’ve resisted jumping on the air fryer cooking wagon because I thought; I have a convection oven, it does the same thing, and I’m a purist when it comes to kitchen appliances and not into the latest kitchen gadget trends.
I am here to say that when it comes to an air fryer, I was wrong.
I’ve been pandemic-retail-therapy shopping this past year and I purchased an air fryer. I’ve been experimenting with it and it has not disappointed me, especially with chicken dishes.
I am sharing my tangerine chicken thigh air fryer recipe for a delicious, crispy on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside chicken dish.
As with all my recipes, you can substitute ingredients, as most of my recipes are flexible that way, especially since I wing (or in this instance, thigh) most of my recipes.
1 lb. chicken thighs (with or without skin, your choice)
2 TBSP corn starch
juice of 4 freshly squeezed tangerines
zest of 2 tangerines
2 TBSP honey
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP soy sauce, I always use low sodium soy sauce
1 head roasted garlic – or – 3 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. red chili pepper flakes (more or less, depending on how spicy you like it)
3 to 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Bring the chicken to room temperature then pat it dry. (This ensures the chicken will be crispy on the outside.)
- Lightly coat each chicken piece with corn starch, shaking off any excess.
- Pre-heat your air fryer.
- Once it has reached 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit), spray the basket with non-stick spray.
- Add the chicken in a single layer to the air fryer basket.
- You may have to cook in batches so as you don’t overcrowd.
- Spritz olive oil (lightly) over the chicken (or you can use cooking spray).
- Air fry for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on the size and amount of chicken.
- After 8 minutes, flip the thighs over and add the fresh rosemary sprigs over the chicken.
- Continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 74 Celsius (or 165 Fahrenheit).
- While chicken is frying with air prepare your sauce.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out and mash with a fork.
- Add: garlic, tangerine juice, zest, honey, vinegar, pepper flakes to a pan (or pot) and cook on high heat, stirring constantly.
- Spoon in the soy sauce and keep stirring, and bring sauce to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer sauce for five minutes.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, coat the crispy chicken with the orange sauce, use as much or as little sauce; your preference.
- Serve immediately.