During these unprecedented times that we’ve all been experiencing, it reminds us to get back to the humble things in life that allow us to exhale and embrace moments of joy—the simplicity of solace, hope, and tasty snacks.
My go-to snacks are salty and crispy, especially when they have a spicy kick and a hint of sweetness, and major bonus points on this trifecta if they are healthy.
Savory, spicy, and sweet roasted chickpeas tick all the boxes for a dance party for your taste buds.
Roasted Crispy Chickpeas
2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 head roasted garlic (or 2 tsp. garlic powder)
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (or measure with your heart for more of a kick)
1 can chickpeas, drained & washed
drizzle of honey
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Drain and wash chick peas, then pat dry with a paper towel, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add: oil and garlic and whisk together well until a smooth consistency.
- To the oil-bowl add: chili powder, crushed red pepper, and salt, and whisk together.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl and toss to coat all the chick peas
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Spread the chickpeas into a single layer, careful not to overlap them on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then turn the chickpeas and continue roasting for an additional 20 minutes, until nicely browned and slightly crispy.
- Remove from the oven, put in a bowl, and drizzle with honey (best done when chick peas are still hot).
- Toss to coat them with the honey, and they are ready to enjoy.