The Vitameatavegamin I Love Lucy episode and the Grape Stomping episode are my favorites. However, I’d rather have a burger than have to resort to spooning my way to health with unappetizing concoctions like Vitameatavegamin.
We strive to have at least three vegetarian meals per week, so I’m having fun coming up with creative ways to cook protein so that the carnivores in the family will feel sated.
Black bean burgers are easy to make, chock-full of flavor, and super healthy.
My family loves these burgers. Okay, maybe not LOVE the way I love them, but they do enjoy them a lot, and no, they would never (nor would I) become a total vegetarian and give up a juicy sirloin burger, but for something different and vegetarian black bean burgers make a good meal.
BLACK BEAN BURGER RECIPE
Recipes makes 5 burgers.
1 can (16 ounce) black beans
1 shallot (or onion and garlic, your choice), minced
1 sweet orange bell pepper (or red or green or yellow), chopped
1/2 cup grated carrot
1 large egg
3 egg whites
3/4 cup oatmeal (or breadcrumbs)
1 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP Srirachi sauce (or any hot sauce)
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then give it a quick spray with a non-stick spray
- In a food processor (or you can use a potato masher) add the black beans and mix until they form a paste like consistency.
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients
- Mix well, and form into five patties.
- Sprinkle each side with a bit of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bake for 10 minutes each side.
Serve with sweet potato baked fries, or regular fries, and top with all your favorite burger toppings. Can be served in a lettuce bowl, bun, cabbage leaves, anything you would normally use for a meat burger.
Really tasty with spicy mayo. Add mayo, Dijon mustard and add a few drops of spicy sauce.