Show your crock-pot and family some love and whip up a batch of hearty, healthy, soup, guaranteed to warm you up for lunch or dinner.
Yellow Split-Pea Soup
- 2 cups yellow split peas (uncooked)
- 8 cups broth (your choice, vegetable or chicken broth)
- 2 cubes bouillon (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 sweet potatoes (chopped in cubes)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 1 small Vidalia onion (diced)
- 1 leek (sliced thinly)
- 2 cloves garlic (roasted or you can throw it in raw, minced)
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Rinse the peas in cold water, until the water is clear, then add them into your crock-pot, and add the bouillon cube, broth, and stir it, breaking up the bouillon cube.
Add; potato, celery, carrots, onion, leek, and garlic, and stir.
Sprinkle in; cumin, mustard, thyme, sage, and stir everything together, then add the bay leaves.
Cover and cook on low for 4 – 4 1/2 hours (until the yellow peas are soft)
Once it is finished cooking, remove the bay leaves, then sprinkle in salt and black pepper to taste, and stir well, adjusting seasoning to your liking.
Serve with crusty bread.
Alternative Serving Suggestions:
Using an emulsifier or food processor whiz the soup it so it is more of a creamy consistency and top with croutons.